PS About shop portfolio

3.13.2015

A YEAR OF GRATITUDE



I've been reading the book Make it Happen by Laura Casey, and I have been loving every bit of it! One of the focuses is on intentions. This word "intention" has stuck with me over these last few months. I want to be intentional with my days- the things I do, the activities I give time and energy to, the relationships I pursue, etc. Moreover, I want to create a meaningful presence. If I were to pack up my bags and leave this state, drop off social media and cut all relationship ties... would anyone notice? Would people miss me? Would I have impacted their lives enough for them to care? eeesh! I didn't mean for that to be a dark thought (sorry), just one of introspection. I just want to enrich the lives of those around me. 

One of the initiatives I'm taking this year is to show my gratitude towards those I love; who have impacted (or are still impacting) my life. I've decided to start writing handwritten cards of thanks. It's a simple expression, but if you've ever received a handwritten note, then you understand the weight of its sentiment. So, in an effort to show more gratitude, I want to challenge you to a Year of Gratitude! What does this entail? Well let me tell you! Every week, you will choose one person. For that week, expend a little more energy to make them feel special and loved - whether it's a shoutout on Instagram, posting an old photo of the two of you, or a special birthday wish on Facebook, remind them that they're still on your radar. Then, at the end of the week, sit down and write them a letter. Maybe it's someone you've looked up to, or someone who has always supported your dreams, maybe it's someone who has been a great friend, or someone who may not know how much they mean to you. Whoever it is, show gratitude to their existence in your life. This will not only build them up and speak life into them, but I assure you, it'll make you feel pretty great too!

I thought it would be really great to show you some possible ideas for hand lettering your envelopes as you get ready to send them out! I found the sweetest stationary sets in the Tiny Prints personalized gifts section! I loved that I could personalize the stationary and make them my own! Another fun bonus is that each card has a really pretty pattern on the back - I love how they turned out!


 
O P T I O N  O N E // Bold (with address)

This option is so much fun because it's such a statement piece! How exciting would it be to find this envelope shining in your pile of bills, newsletters and catalogs?! You can create this fun banner in multiple ways - just have fun with it!

This stationary is called Fresh Fancy, and it's actually a part of a really sweet birthday collection. I think it's meant for a child, but the balloon reminded me of the balloons we had at our wedding, so I went for it; too perfect to pass up! This card would be perfect to express thanks, congratulations or gratitude!



O P T I O N  T W O // Simple (with address)

I like this option for a more simplified and sophisticated look. This lettering took much less time and I think it can be accomplished by someone at any level!

This stationary is called On the Breeze and I think it's even prettier in person! I love the trim, and the fact that I got to personalize it was an added bonus. My favorite part is still the fun pattern on the back and this one is especially perfect because it's gold! This card would be perfect for sharing a sentiment that requires more explanation, since there's much more blank space to write what's on your heart!



O P T I O N  T H R E E // Classic (no address)

This option is better suited for someone who lives close to home, that you could hand deliver your letter to. A large majority of those I have written letters to, have been women in my workplace and church, so this is a great option for me! I do have family and friends who live out of state though, so the options above are obviously better suited for them. I like this option because you can have as much fun as you want with your lettering! Get creative and use up as much space as you want!

This stationary is called Dazzling Pattern, in Red Lantern. I decided to personalize this one with one of my favorite scripture verses, "God is within her, she will not fail." This is such an empowering verse, so I think it would be great for a letter about encouragement or thankfulness!

 
I had so much fun working on my first batch of gratitude letters! Sometimes we assume that people just know how much they mean to us, but even if they do, it sure is nice to be reminded! I know that the women (or men) that you send these cards to, will feel loved, cherished and empowered to continue being who they are!


When it comes to hand-lettering your envelopes, get creative! You can use different color pens, watercolors, or an assortment of different colored envelopes! Have fun with it and let your personality shine through! If you decide to participate in the Year of Gratitude, let me know! You can leave a link below in the comments or use the hashtag #yearofgratitude when posting to Instagram or Twitter. Love y'all so much! Have a wonderful weekend!

xo. mel

1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful idea, writing a letter each week to people you care about. I write lots of handwritten notes and make all of my own cards, so this is right up my alley. Thanks for the inspiration!

    Please check out my new blog, efflorescencemap.blogspot.com

    I'd appreciate the support!

    ReplyDelete